The Academy celebrates Michael Mann’s 1995 classic, “Heat,” on the big screen on Wednesday, September 7, at 7:00 p.m. at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills with a new 4K DCP restoration.
Following the screening, Oscar winners Pacino and De Niro, four-time Oscar nominee Mann and other cast and crew will reunite in a conversation moderated by Oscar nominee Christopher Nolan.
The crew of a fierce, professional thief (De Niro) and an obsessively driven LAPD detective (Pacino) are locked in deadly opposition as they vector towards each other.
Taking inspiration from his friend, Chicago Detective Charlie Adamson – who killed Neil McCauley in a shoot-out in 1963 – Mann built a twilight vision of Los Angeles.
- Written and Directed by Michael Mann
- Produced by Michael Mann and Art Linson
- Executive Producers Arnon Milchan and Pieter Jan Brugge
- Director of Photography Dante Spinotti
- Production Designer Neil Spisak
- Film Editors Dov Hoenig, Pasquale Buba, William Goldenberg and Tom Rolf
- Music by Elliot Goldenthal
- Costume Designer Deborah L. Scott
- Sound by Lee Orloff, Andy Nelson, Chris Jenkins and Doug Hemphill
- Casting by Bonnie Timmermann
- Cast: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Tom Sizemore, Diane Venora, Amy Brenneman, Dennis Haysbert, Ashley Judd, Mykelti Williamson, Wes Studi, Ted Levine, William Fichtner, Natalie Portman, Tom Noonan, Kevin Gage, Hank Azaria, Susan Traylor, Kim Staunton and Jon Voight
- Running time: 172 minutes
- Format: “Heat” will be presented in a new 4K DCP, restored by Stefan Sonnenfeld (Company 3) and Michael Mann.
With its range of complex characters, epic scale action and dazzling use of the city, Academy says “Heat” is as incendiary as it was 20 years ago.
Photo courtesy: The Academy