Warner Bros.’ American Sniper directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller was the top film this weekend with a global box office collection of $99.5 million.
Rentrak, which measures the performance of movies, announced Sunday the official worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of Jan. 18, 2015, as compiled by the company’s theatrical measurement services.
“Warner Bros.’ ‘American Sniper‘ takes the global box office crown with $99.5 million this weekend mainly propelled by a record breaking North American performance of $90.2 million; this brings the 6 time Oscar nominee to $119 million globally to date including $9.3 million from just 8 international territories. Topping the international chart is Liam Neeson in Fox’s action packed sequel ‘Taken 3‘ which added another $31.4 million in 49 international territories and thus brings it worldwide total to an impressive $161.8 million,” said Rentrak’s senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian.
According to Rentrak, the top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015, are below.
- American Sniper – Warner Bros. – $99.5M
- Taken 3 – 20th Century Fox – $45.5M
- Paddington – Multiple – $23.3M
- Seventh Son – Multiple – $21.7M
- Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb – 20th Century Fox – $21.6M
- Wedding Ringer, The – Sony – $21.0M
- Penguins Of Madagascar – 20th Century Fox – $16.8M
- Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies – Warner Bros. – $14.7M
- Into The Woods – Disney – $13.8M
- Imitation Game, The – Multiple – $11.2M
- Exodus: Gods And Kings – 20th Century Fox – $11.1M
- Unbroken – Universal – $10.9M
Rentrak is the entertainment and marketing industries’ leading provider of worldwide consumer viewership information, measuring actual viewing behavior of movies and TV everywhere.